Nuffnang

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Chicken in Milk

Last week was a tiring week at work. I was pretty upset I didn't make that apricot and yoghurt dessert that I planned to do. Yeah, at times when things don't go according to plans, it's quite frustrating. In any case, I'm glad I'm in time for this week's potluck with I Heart Cooking Clubs.
 
This time, I decided to make a chicken dish after seeing this recipe and the raves about it. According to Jamie Oliver, he mentioned that this dish is slightly odd but really fantastic combination that must be tried. This recipe is from Jamie Oliver's Happy Days with the Naked Chef.

Ingredients:

1.5kg chicken
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 stick cinnamon
1 good handful fresh sage, leaves picked
zest of 2 lemons
10 cloves garlic, skin left on
565ml milk (or half portion of milk and half portion of cooking cream)

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius.
  2. Pat the chicken dry after removing all the innards. Season the chicken with salt and pepper generously.
  3. Find a pot that fits the chicken nicely, heat the pot over the stove and pour some olive oil into the pot.
  4. Fry the whole chicken in the pot on both sides till golden brown, put the chicken on the plate and throw away the oil in the pot.
  5. Put your chicken back to the pot with the rest of the ingredients and cook in the preheated oven for about 90 minutes. Baste the chicken with the sauce when you can remember. The lemon zest will split the milk, making a sauce that is absolutely fantastic.
  6. To serve, pull the meat off the bones and divide it onto your plates. Spoon over the juice and little curds.



I forgot how moist the chicken can be and wanted to use a kitchen scissors to tear the chicken up. When I lifted the chicken drumstick up, it just fell off the chicken carcass. Wow!!! Then when I tasted it, it did taste very moist. I tried the little curds of milk and it was yummy too. My blogger friend, Wendy suggested to add cream to the milk portion to make it tastier and I think I might try that another time when I make this again. All in all, Mr G really liked this dish since it also has creamy garlic cloves and the chicken is juicy and moist just the way he likes it.
 
I'm submitting this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs for our potluck this week.
 
Pot Luck Badge
 
I'm also going submitting this post to Cook-Your-Books #17 organized Joyce of kitchenflavours.
 
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg
 
I'm also submitting this post to Cooking with Herbs organized by Lavender and Lovage.
 
Cooking with Herbs for October: Scarborough Fair Herbs
 
Link up your recipe of the week

No comments: