Nuffnang

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Orange Yoghurt Cake

After that day's beef curry, I had a whole lot of yoghurt left. It's not that I can't take yoghurt with museli or anything like that. But there's really alot of surplus so I might as well make use of what I have in the fridge rather than buy more food just to bake a cake that I want.

I finally got the inspiration from Happy Home Bake who adapted a cranberry pecan cake recipe from Alice Medrich's Chocolate and the Art of Low Fat Desserts. The idea of this recipe from Alice Medrich made me smile (her recipes never fail) and then I saw the word 'Low Fat Desserts' which made me grin even more. Ok, this shall be the cake to finish what I have in the fridge as well as make my mum happy by bringing this cake back home. What a win-win situation!!

Ok let's start.

Ingredients:

250g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
70g unsalted butter (room temperature)
zest of 1 orange
200g caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
250ml plain, non-fat yoghurt
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp orange juice

Method:
  1. Preheat oven at 180 degrees celsius.
  2. Grease a loaf tin.
  3. Sift together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt then set aside.
  4. In a bowl, mix yoghurt, vanilla essence and orange juice and whisk gently.
  5. Beat butter and orange zest for about 1 minute.
  6. Add in caster sugar and beat on high speed for about 3 minutes till well mixed.
  7. Add in eggs gradually, about 1 tbsp at one time, beat constantly for about 2 minutes.
  8. Use your spatula to fold in 1/3 of the flour mixture and do it in 1 direction till the flour is almost all mixed into the batter.
  9. On medium high speed, beat in 1/2 of the yoghurt mixture.
  10. Repeat step 8 again.
  11. On high speed, beat in the remaining yoghurt mixture.
  12. Finally, repeat step 8 again.
  13. Scrape into the loaf tin and bake for about 45 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.


 

Although I didn't manage to take any picture of the sliced cake as it was gone in no time, I did manage to take this beautiful picture of the yoghurt cake from the top. I love how moist and soft it tastes. I totally agree that yoghurt and cake flour gives this cake a super soft texture unlike pound or butter cakes texture that you are used to. Do try it!! The orange fragrance has totally spread to almost every corner of my house already and I love it!!

I'm also submitting this post to Little Thumbs Up May 2015 organized by Cheryl of Baking Taitai, Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY.


I'm also submitting this post to Cook-Your-Books#23 organized by Joyce of kitchenflavours.

 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

Link up your recipe of the week

No comments: