Nuffnang

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Vindaloo Curry

2015 came and left in a jiffy. Indeed it was a long and trying year. I never knew I would have pulled through 2015. But I did. It shows that we are a lot stronger than we think we are :) I like the idea of that.

Come this new year ahead, I have decided to go ahead and make new progress at work. So this will probably keep me pretty busy for half of this year. Nevertheless, I have been cooking the usual things or things that are so easy that it doesn't seem worth to even put it up here at all. Yes, I'm really hard on myself. 

So just recently, I asked Mr G if you are game for curry. Oh well, don't even try to guess. He is ever ready for a pot of good kickass curry. Haha!! Ok asking the wrong person then. Anyhow, I made Jamie Oliver's vindaloo curry on a weeknight and it is definitely achievable. Try the shortcuts I indicated below in blue :P This recipe is from Jamie's Meals in Minutes: A Revolutionary Approach to Cooking Good Food Fast.

In case you are wondering where vindaloo curry originated from, you might want to check out my other pork vindaloo here.

Ingredients:

2 medium onions
4 cloves garlic (I used about 4 tbsp chopped garlic)
1-2 red chillies, to taste (I used 1-2 tbsp chilli powder)
thumb size ginger root (I sliced it so it is visible after cooking if want to remove it)
a small bunch of cilantro / parsley, chopped
4 ripe tomatoes
peanut or vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
a pat of butter
1 3/4 pounds pork shoulder (I used pork ribs, about 900g)
1/2 cup vindaloo paste (I had ready made sambal tumis so I used that)
sea salt
black pepper
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar (I used white wine vinegar, it works just fine)
1 tbsp honey
1 cup natural yoghurt
1 lemon

Method:

  1. Get a casserole pot and heat it under medium fire over the stove. Add the vegetable/peanut oil and butter.
  2. Add onions, garlic, chilli and cilantro and cook for 10 minutes, until softened and golden.
  3. Add the pork and curry paste. Stir well to coat everything with the paste and season with salt and pepper.
  4. Add tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, honey, yoghurt and add about 1 3/4 cups of water, just enough to cover everything and stir again.
  5. Bring to a boil, turn the heat down and simmer for about 45 minutes with the lid on.
  6. Check the curry regularly to ensure it doesn't stick to the pot and add extra water if necessary.
  7. After the pork is cooked, taste and season with salt and pepper.


Mr G tasted it at first and said WOW so sour!! He gave me a cringed face. Oh well, vindaloo curry is just like that. It gives you an overall balanced taste of sourness, spicyness, sweetness. I like this well-balanced curry. Despite showing that face, Mr G finished every morsel in his bowl. Haha!! It shows that curry supersedes it all :P

Try it, you might just like it :)



I'm also linking this post with Cookbook Countdown hosted by Joyce of kitchenflavours and Emily of Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray.

No comments: