Nuffnang

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Stuffed Portobello with Melting Mozarella

This week it is Potluck Week with I Heart Cooking Clubs and we are spoilt for choice as we can choose from 14 chefs!! I have been a very safe home cook so I always choose those that I've cooked with :D This time, I'm cooking something different from Yotam Ottolenghi. Each time, I cooked with him, I seem to love his recipes more and more. They look difficult or complex but really their flavours are very bountiful. Try this simple meatless recipe!

This recipe is from Yotam Ottolenghi's Plenty. See my modifications/comments in blue.

Ingredients:

4 large portobellos, stalks removed (If you use small ones, probably 6 would do)
6 tbs olive oil
salt and black pepper
1 small onion, diced (I used 1 big red onion)
1 celery stalk, finely diced (I used 2 stalks)
2 cups finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 tbs chopped tarragon leaves (you can use dried ones)
4 tbs coarsely shredded basil leaves
3.5 ounces taleggio, sliced (I used mozarella instead)
Method: 

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an oven tray with baking parchment. 
  2. Place the mushrooms on the tray, tops facing down, drizzle with a little oil, season with salt and pepper and bake for about 15 10 minutes or so, until the mushrooms begin to soften. 
  3. Meanwhile, heat two tablespoons of oil in a sauté pan and add the onion and celery. Cook on low heat for five to 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until the vegetables are soft but have not browned. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and garlic, cook for a few minutes more, then remove from the heat and leave to cool down.
  4. Once cool, add the parmesan, some of the basil, and the tarragon, to the mixture and season with freshly ground pepper (you can add a little salt, but not much because taleggio is very salty). I omitted salt as the parmesan was salty enough for me. But if you prefer, salt it accordingly.
  5. Pile the filling on the whole mushrooms and top with the slices of taleggio mozarella. Return to the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, until the cheese melts and the mushrooms are hot.
  6. Transfer the mushrooms to serving plates and drizzle with some more oil. Garnish with remaining basil and serve straight away, alongside a green salad.





I have to admit these pictures are not so well taken this time. A bit of focus. I blame it on me wanting to eat the mushrooms when they are piping hot. By the way, that filling is a killer!! I can just sit there and eat the filling without anything. Trust me, if you have extra after cooking these portobellos, you wouldn't resist and eat it as it is warm and yummy. Thank you Ottolenghi for this meatless yummy dish!! Mr G says he can eat these anytime too. This is such a big encouragement as he is definitely a meat guy. Anything without meat usually wouldn't get his approval but this one is a SURE GO! Try it.

I'm submitting this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs - April Potluck.

No comments: